IADC kicks off technical pubs projects
By Amy Rose, IADC director of external relations
The IADC Technical Publications Committee, under the leadership of committee chairman and industry veteran Dr Leon Robinson, is undertaking an effort to redesign and rewrite many of its offerings. Additionally, the committee will introduce new drilling-related reference sources to advance IADC’s position as the ultimate authority on drilling operations and practices.
Three technical publications have either been recently updated or are undergoing the revision process:
• The IADC Drilling Rig Safety Inspection Checklist has been revised and republished.
• The IADC Health, Safety and Environmental Reference Guide has been reformatted and redesigned. The book is scheduled to be published in Q1 2013. Containing all the necessary guidelines for establishing a sound safety program, the book covers topics such as equipment safety, personal protective equipment, fire prevention, fire fighting and fire control, confined space entry guidelines, cold weather safety, offshore safety and emergency action plans, among others.
• The IADC Rig Safety Meeting Topics book has been redesigned and updated; the new edition is also scheduled to be published in Q1 2013. Providing more than 100 topics for rig safety meetings, the book discusses everything from respirators and hearing protection to lock out/tag out and electrical safety, among others.
IADC Drilling Series
In addition to these three publications, IADC has been designated to publish the IADC Drilling Series. “The Drilling Series will be an encyclopedia set, comprising of 20 books, on the drilling industry. We have put a team of world-class people together to capture all of the functions of mechanical drilling and put those thoughts together in our peer-reviewed books,” Dr Robinson said.
The Technical Publications Committee has already published three books through Gulf Publishing. Before the end of 2013, the committee plans to complete an additional three books:
• Well Cementing Operations. Providing information on the cementing process, this book focuses on the fundamentals for wellsite operational practices, along with sample calculations for cementing procedures;
• Hydraulics and rheology; and
• Drillers Knowledge Toolbox. This book will focus on the tools needed to ensure maximum drilling performance and rig capability, along with a discussion on wellbore design and architecture, among others.
The three books already published and available through IADC Publications are:
• Underbalanced Drilling Handbook. Noting that underbalanced drilling is a tool that is increasingly being used by operators to meet today’s energy demands and drilling needs, this book focuses on further explaining this essential drilling procedure.
• Managed Pressure Drilling. The cutting-edge technologies and processes that surround managed pressure drilling are explained in this book, which will be available for both engineering students and veteran engineers.
• Casing and Liners for Drilling and Completion. A peer-reviewed text, the book explains the fundamentals of casing design, which includes information on oilfield casing, basic calculations and hydrostatistics, casing depth and size determination, casing design performance and running casing, among others.