Steve Gangelhoff receives IADC Exemplary Service Award
IADC president Dr Lee Hunt presented the IADC Exemplary Service Award to Steven J Gangelhoff, senior vice president, Northern Offshore Drilling, citing Mr Gangelhoff’s work spanning four decades on behalf of the drilling industry.
“Steve’s contribution to the advancement of technology and communications in the drilling industry is superlative,” Dr Hunt remarked. “The reason that IADC has been so successful in its multinational initiatives is due to the efforts of people like Steve giving generously of their time and talents.”
A 34-year contract-drilling veteran, Mr Gangelhoff’s career has encompassed both operations management and marketing. Prior to his current position, he served as vice president of sales & contracts for deepwater and vice president of business for GlobalSantaFe Corp until that company’s merger with Transocean Inc.
He previously served as vice president of operations for GlobalSantaFe International Corporation, in Asia and South America. Prior to that he spent many years working around the world in various operations management positions offshore and onshore. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism from the University of Minnesota and a Master of Science degree in public relations from Boston University.
Mr Gangelhoff currently serves on IADC’s Executive Committee, the most recent in a long string of achievements and positions of responsibility. Observed IADC group vice president Mike Killalea, who worked closely with Mr Gangelhoff in the development of IADC’s World Drilling conference series, “If we gave merit badges for IADC activities, Steve’s sash of achievements would drag on the floor.”
Mr Gangelhoff’s IADC highlights, by decade, include:
• IADC Safety and Training Committee.
• Served on IADC Well Control Committee, provided support and liaison between IADC and MMS in development of early MMS rules on well control training.
• Organizing Committee member – IADC/National Ocean Industries Conference.
• Safety & Training and Well Control Committees.
• Chairman and vice chairman, IADC South Louisiana Chapter.
• Chairman and vice chairman, IADC Southeast Asia Chapter.
• Co-chairman, IADC Asia Pacific Well Control Conference (Jakarta).
• Organizing Committee member, IADC/SPE Asia Pacific Technology Conference (Kuala Lumpur & Jakarta – two conferences).
• Organizing Committee member, IADC World Drilling.
• Currently member of IADC Executive Committee and member of the Finance, Compensation and Well Control Accreditation Subcommittees.